Friday, September 30, 2011

serve

Just yesterday I was lamenting the fact that the "escape key" on my computer is a real let down--it never delivers on the precious promises it makes. We laughingly dreamed of ways to develop worm holes that could be activated so that we could escape with the press of a button from any circumstance, conflict, or problem that we no longer wanted to be around.

Then I got to thinking how often I do use my escape key in real life. When confronted with a need that I know I should address but just don't want to give the effort, I escape. I find ways to no longer see the problem or issue, and with an out-of-sight out-of-mind flourish, I magically escape. I avoid talking to people that I know will reveal a need to me. I dodge hard conversations with humor. I stay in the nice parts of town to avoid those who lack essential goods.

The easiest way I have found to rationalize my behavior is by saying I want to make sure my family is safe. Safety is an almost unparalleled virtue in my world. We live in a beautiful neighborhood very far from the trouble spots in town... we lock all of our doors... we lock our car doors... even when the car is in the closed garage I lock the doors. I am so safe. I want to escape from difficult things because I love being safe.

I wonder if I value my safety a whole lot more than God does.

I find it tumultuously vexing (inside joke for my church family) that in Matthew 25 as God paints the picture of those who are going to spend eternity in his kingdom, he mentions that they fed, nurtured, cared for, visited, and clothed those in need. And then he says this amazing thing in Matthew 25:40...

...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.
As I read this text, I was amazed to see that this text wasn't just saying that Jesus loved the poor and hungry and thirsty and imprisoned; this text says that Jesus WAS the poor and hungry and thirsty and imprisoned. He isn't merely saying he likes those in need; he says he is WITH those in need--and not just in spirit... he is there! And if he is there, then why am I so seldom there with those in need. I say I am his follower, but my actions tell a different story.

But it isn't safe there... I think.

But, if being safe means more to me than being faithful, then I am not a disciple of Jesus.

I am learning that you do not need an escape key from serving others, because...

the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Some serious meat to chew on my friend. Tell Kelly hello.

    ReplyDelete